Sunday, March 16, 2008

the cityshrinker and other odds and ends



This blog is going to be mainly a platform for theoretical babble, backed up by loosely-collected evidence. However from time to time I see some pretty awesome stuff online that I think is worth posting on here. Most of them (including the one above) will be collected from blogs I frequent. In any case, cityshrinker is a project by Ben Thomas to shrink various cities from their mind-numbingly complex and large-scale apparitions to bite-sized and easily understood diarama-type photographs, taken from a quasi-aerial perspective.

The blog I got this from, kitsune noir, was quick to downplay the Ben's clever technique when he realized that these were not actually hand-made dioramas of world cities but were actually photographs. While I think that making dioramas of these cities to this level of detail would have indeed been a task worthy of praise, I think these photographs are even more amazing for the progress they symbolize in the realm of digital photography. Take a look, you'll see what I mean. Maybe later I'll post some sorf of interpretation, but I'd rather just let it stand.

No comments: